Ants are known for being one of the most common home invaders. As soon as they see an opening, they will invade your house and any food they can get their hands on. While they tend to enter homes during the winter, now is the perfect time to start putting preventive measures in the most common areas ants are found – the kitchen and bathroom!
The kitchen is an ideal place for ants to infest. These pests are constantly looking for a water source, and the kitchen is the perfect place to find it. If your kitchen isn’t cleaned frequently and thoroughly, ants will quickly invade. Below are a few ant prevention tips to help keep them out of your kitchen:
- Store any sweet food items, such as honey and syrup, in plastic containers that seal tightly. Also, you should wipe them down after use to remove any sticky residue.
- Clean up any spills or crumbs on your countertops and kitchen floors.
- Get rid of any ripe fruit.
- If you have pets, pick up any leftover food and wash their bowls frequently.
Along with the kitchen, your bathroom is highly vulnerable to an ant infestation. A bathroom is an attractive place for ants because they enjoy moisture and dark places. Carpenter ants will build their nest in damp areas, such as behind bathroom tiles or under sinks. To prevent ants from infesting your bathroom, take these preventative measures:
- Regularly inspect your sink, toilets, and tubs for any leaks or drips to avoid excess moisture.
- Give your bathroom a good and thorough cleaning by scrubbing the floors with a disinfectant cleaner and wiping down the insides of your drawers.
If you have noticed an invasion of ants inside of your home, consider calling your local pest control company. Trained service professionals will set you up with a prevention and ant control plan to help prevent these pests during peak ant season.